The Army of Georland

The Army of Georland

Thursday, 21 November 2013

Epoch XI A pt 2 - Third Fredrichsburg Campaign

After the stupendous victory of Napoleon the Imperator divided the Army. The Guards returned to Georgetown which was menaced from Toby by the Prussians (see Chap XI B) the remainder (2nd, 5th + 6th) marched for the invasion of Fredrichsburg. The route taken by General Mercury through Cetoy was deemed too dangerous, altho’ no obstacles presented themselves till the capital was reached. Whereas the direct route (the one taken) was defended by the two fortresses Lantarb and Rhodies, as will be seen from the adjoining plan.

But the first (Mercury’s route) was the one which he was so nearly entrapped in, and H.I.M. resolved to take the more difficult but direct Road.

The Army now advanced to Lantarb and broke the ground before that virgin fortress on the 28th April.

The works were speedily pushed out.

The 17th of May witnessed a grand sortie of the garrison who were after an obstinate fight driven to the glacis with a loss of 2600 men + 2 guns. The Georlanders lost but 800 killed + wounded mostly of the 33rd Regiment of the Line.

The following day the town was nearly destroyed by a terrible fire which broke out, and several magazines exploded.

On the 22nd a practicable breach was reported but H.I.M. ordered the firing to keep on hoping to avert the horrors + disasters of an assault. The Garrison now determined to evacuate the place and a division set off for Fiskin some 18 miles off. It was on the 25th of May, that, in leading on an attack on this division that H.I.M. was dangerously wounded.

He however continued in the saddle and a complete victory was gained the enemy being put to flight.

It was a bullet that had penetrated the 1st finger on the Imperator’s hand. This being in such a dangerous state His Majesty was compelled to relinquish the command of the army and return to Georgetown.

General Mercury had no sooner taken command of the army than the Prussians evacuated Lantarb (30th May) and the Georlanders entered 2nd June (Imperator’s 18th birthday). During the siege there fell of the enemy 6,200 soldiers + 509 civilians of whom 120 were men 147 women + 292 children.

The loss of the army was 2,290 of all ranks. The 28th 33rd 8th +20th Foot Regiments did all the heavy duties, and consequently lost heavily, particularly the 28th, which was minus 900 men.
An army of Fredrichsburgans who had been unable to raise the siege now disputed the advance of General Mercury.

But that General was returned to Georgetown the Imperator having commissioned him to lead the army to defend the country (see XI B) on the South. He had however left his command with Lieut General Massey who now succeeded him.

In obedience to these orders L.G. Massey now advanced to attack the foe who were strongly posted in a position the right of which rested on the Lower “Linos Hills” whilst the left extended through Buffalora to Cestovia.

But their main defence, and, in fact the first natural defence of Fredrichsburg; the River Galsher was, by the capture of Lastant, in the hands of the Georlanders.

From this base Lieut General Massey now directed his operations.

On the 7th June the opposing forces met.

The veteran Battalions of the Imperator, were too much for the half trained recruits of Fredrichsburg, and a complete victory was obtained.

After advancing in force LG Massey sent the 19th + 16th Brigades against Buffalora which by 4 pm was in the hands of the Georlanders. leaving a Light Brigade of Detachments and the 2nd Heavy Cavalry brigade to watch the enemy’s left wing at Cestovia the 19th + 8th Brigades advanced under MG Cameron to [harry?] the enemy’s Right wing by the left at Krumm + Tenog supported by the 2nd Corps . These two places were soon taken and the Perunians having after a hard struggle turned completely their extreme right by the capture by storm of the Lower Linos Hill Peak the Frederciksburgan army cut in two and one half completely crushed fled in disorder.

Their final rout was achieved by the advance of the whole Georland line in front, and a charge of the 17th Perunian Lancers + 2nd Georland Light Cavalry Brigade (11th 15th + 18TH Hussars) decided their complete overthrow.

The guns of Litkid some 14 miles off, alone prevented their total destruction.

Besides losing 5,300 killed + 5,670 wounded they left 15,800 prisoners, + 19 guns and 84 Colors in the hands of the victors.

Compared with this, that of the allies was small, only 4,400 of all ranks of whom 1,500 were Perunians. The 19th Brigade alone lost 1,000 killed + wounded. The 28th Regt again suffered most severely. It was a very strong Regt, but out of 1500 fully 1000 were missing on the eve of the battle.

But this victory was to a great extent neutralized by the despatch of a Prussian Corps from Kidde to Cinton, this striking at the allied flank thus:-

By this manoeuvre the Allied Army which had followed the routed Fredrichsburgans to Litkid, was compelled to return to Lantarb as any advance to a flank, direct, with an enemy on the front would have been madness. The losses of the preceding engagements had so reduced the army that it was impossible to attempt to attack the Corps at Anton especially as the arrival of a second Prussian Corps enabled that power to advance its troops towards Lantarb. Lieut General Massey immediately fell back on Lantarb, on which the Prussians advanced to Buffalora, awaiting the arrival of siege batteries before attacking Lieut General Massey’s position at Lantarb. Nothing now remained for General Massey but to await the arrival of the Perunian Army which had reached Myjiji June 7th. Here it lay pending the strategical arrangements between General Flasher CG on behalf of the Imperator and Prince Vandaram of Peruni Commander in Chief of the Perunian Army.

The following was the plan resolved upon.

The 1st Perunian Corps to march from Myjiji on Lantarb via Mistierton.
The allied force at Lantarb were to attack the Prussian line at Buffalora while the 1st Peruvians attacked the rear to restrain the troops at Kidde and Litkid from sending to the relief of Anton and to mask the march of the 1st Corps two Divisions were sent one against each of these places to make the feint of a grand attack.

The division sent against Spieroud where the advanced Guard of the Army of Kidde lay, attacked that place on the [left blank] July.

General Hasher successfully headed a cavalry charge of Perunian Dragoons who were stimulated to bravery by the heroism of the 3 squadrons of the 11th Hussars + 2 squadrons 14th Cuirassiers which formed General Hasher’s escort. The place was taken.

The greatest consternation prevailed in Kidde, and all the available forces were at once sent off to the Rang der Balthowe where the Royal Army lay. On the 9th General von Roon ordered an attack to be made on the place but on the advance of the troops the place, in conformance with the orders of Genl Flasher, was evacuated. On this the Prussians claimed a victory + great were the rejoicings in the capital. The arrival in the afternoon of the intelligence of the disaster at Buffalora (see below) showed them how well they had been duped.

The other division proceeding south to Litkid met a force of the enemy drawn up at Haerts about 12 miles off Litkid, General Hasher however putting himself at the head of his troops carried their position, driving them to the very walls of Litkid. His little army being reinforced he resolved to blocade [sic] that place and after enduring for [left blank] days this confinement General [left blank] and a garrison surrendered prisoners. The total taken were [left blank].
General Flasher by his splendid manoeuvres had thus kept with only 15,000 men no less than 120,000 men engaged for 5 days and ultimately captured [blank] of them (Litkid).
In the meantime Marshal Excalibur with the 1st Corps had reached Custow on July 8th and immediately proceeded towards Buffalora sending a Brigade to the right towards Litkid to prevent any flank attack from that quarter but this was unneeded. The enemy disputed every inch of Ground from Custow. But the Georlanders under General Massey were pressing on the front. General Massey had attacked too soon and had had hard work to maintain his ground.

Determined to do so he had preserved his position by the sacrifice of a few Corps; the Brigade of Peruvian Zouaves which he ordered to storm Buffalora which feat they actually accomplished, though at a fearful price. He next ordered the Cavalry to charge the Prussian centre at Buffalora. Dashing onwards through the streets of Buffalora the gallant horsemen emerged on the plain beyond, only to encounter battalions of glittering bayonets. A long struggle and bloody combat ensued.

The enemy were already giving way when a Lancer brigade from the Peruvian Army came thundering down the road from Custow. This decided the overthrow of the enemy’s centre which now gave way. In this combat the 6th Inniskilling Dragoons + 2nd Grey Dragoons especially distinguished themselves.

General Massey now ordered his whole line to advance on as Marshal Masterman was now pressing on their rear while their flank at Turoj was already turned. This decided the victory. Cestovia was stormed, and the enemy surrounded; broke, + endeavoured to escape but nearly all were cut down or taken prisoner.

The moon of the 8th July 1874 shone on a bloodier village than ever it shone before. Within the houses of Buffalora lay some [blank] around it, lay the dead not yet buried, some [blank] whilst at least [blank] wounded lay bleeding on the ground not yet provided for. The Allied loss was as follows [this has been left blank].

After a short rest Marshal Excalibur set out for Vanaur an entrenched camp in the Great Range of S Georland Mts. This Camp with the more powerful of Firban on the border of Georland by the victory of Buffalora, lay at the mercy of the conquerors. The garrison accordingly spiked the guns of the places + withdrew via Kerlun + Francuan to Dukel blowing up the bridge over the River [blank] at Francuan, thus preventing any further pursuit. They mostly joined the Army besieging Powgen .Marshal Excalibur at once retraced his steps and joined in the blocade [sic] of Litkid which on the [blank] fell into his hands (see preceding page). The 2 Georland Corps were at once withdrawn to Georland, where H.I.M. was overwhelmed by the hordes of the enemy (see Below)

No comments:

Post a Comment